How to Pick the Best Frames for Round Faces
Picking out new glasses can be fun, but for a lot of people, it can be frustrating as well. It can seem difficult to find the perfect pair, but there may be some ways to make it easier on yourself. Having a basic understanding of some of the tools and methods of measurement that help determine the best frame shape for your face can narrow down your selection significantly.
Understanding Frame Measurements
There are seven components to measuring frames:
- A box, or the width of one of the sides of the frame.
- B box—the height of the frame.
- Geometric center of the frame, which is described as being the center of the shape created by A box and B box measurements.
- ED (effective diameter), which is the measurement from the top right corner to the bottom left corner of the frame.
- Bridge size—the space between the two lenses
- Frame PD — the width between the two geometrical centers
- Temple length, which is the length between the center of the hinge on the arm to the tip of the arm—this is measured in millimeters, with most adults requiring a length of 135 to 145, and with most children requiring 120 to 140.
How to Find Frames for Round Faces
Shapes should be used to counter/contrast the face shapes. For example, they should soften the angles in a person’s face. For rounder face shapes, the jaw and forehead angles should be highlighted. The ideal shape of frames for round faces is rectangular, a frame with more width than height, which will lengthen the face. Stay away from round frames, and seek out glasses that have a heavier upper rim and lighter lower rim (either in color or thickness). Women may also find that cat-eye shaped frames suit their face shape well. Of course, the type of frames someone chooses will ultimately come down to personal style and preferences, but knowing what shape is made for your face may make the decision a bit easier.
Professional and clinically on target. My wife finally has received excellent care after being examined at Rosin. Highly recommend. Thank you.
I loved my visit here. I had a great doctor and I highly recommend her. She made the visit easy and smooth but was very detailed in her work. She was very open to my suggestions and gave me lots of options as far as lenses and gave me advice on how to improve my eyesight. The best visit with an Optometrist that I have ever had!